Monday, May 18, 2009

It's for you!


Ring! Ring!



Hello...Who is this? oh!



It's for you.


And with that I will start today's rant. Cell Phones. I absolutely hate them. That's right, I can't stand them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy talking with my friends and family. Usually for about two minutes before I have this incredible urge to hang up. But cell phones have become such an evil item. They are expensive, they break way to easily, they cause already bad drivers to become even worse and there is no end in site for the expansion that they will have.

Not to many years ago a portable phone was for the rich, they where large bulky things that most of us could not afford and or want. In fact a portable phone was a status symbol. Like having an expensive car only the elite would be seen with one. But those days are long since gone and we find cell phones everywhere. Everywhere and in every shape, color and size imaginable. As well as the fact that they are not just phones, oh no, they are camera's and MP3 players as well as having qwerty keypads for texting.

Which reminds me of one of my nightmares. In my dream I walk into a cell phone store and a salesperson comes up to me.

Salesperson: Hello, you who are about to be screwed. Do you wish to be lead down a path of deception as you are carefully maneuvered into a legal document that excises all of your potential rights?

Me: No, I just want a phone.

Salesperson: Well you came to the right place to be taken. This one is a camera!

Me: I just want a phone.

Salesperson: This one is an MP3 player that can hold 40,000 songs.

Me: I just want a phone.

Salesperson: This one is a portable operating table with cat scan and x-ray.

Me: I just want a phone.

And on and on and on.......

So you might be surprise to learn I too have a cell phone. I have been with my current service provider for almost two years. As soon as that two years is up I will be dropping my provider. Why? Because my service is horrible. That's right it's just god awful. I have poor to no reception at my house (Within my coverage area), at my work (Also with in my coverage area) as well as many other area's that are within my coverage area. I guess I should have asked if my cell phone would actually work in my coverage area or is that just where it is legal for me to carry it.

So why is that? It's not like they don't have the cell phone towers. The reason that my service as well as so many others is so bad is because of contracts. Yep, two years ago when I bought my phones I did not have the amount of problems that I have now. But as time went by the service declined until it is what it is today. But, since I signed a two year contrat I am stuck. If your service goes out the window what option do you have? Suck it up and deal with it or you can pay an early termination fee. Is it just me or is it crazy to have to pay to stop using a service because its not living up to the contract! Makes you wonder why they have an early termination fee. Could it be because they had a clear understanding that they would be collecting on it?

I should have know as much though. I live in an area that has almost no business competition, the results are that many of the local services are take it or leave it. The reason being you have no other choice. If you want to have a cell phone these are your two choices. Well what do you do when both choices stink? You can do what I plan on doing. Go with a prepaid no contract phone. Of course I still have to hope that my phone will work in places such as at home or work, but at least if they do not I can always stop buying additional minutes. Ha take that cell phone companies.

In the coming weeks I will be putting my plan into action. Hopefully I will be able to use my new cell phone for what I need it for. Just in case scenario's. So, if I don't write anymore it's because the cell phone execs got me and I didn't have any reception to call for help.

Today's Rant:Complete

No comments:

Post a Comment