Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Off with his head!


So if you have been keeping an eye on the news recently you may have noticed that Air Force One was flown over the New York area. Needless to say it caused quite the uproar. People running in the streets, panic & multiple calls to 911 about a plane falling out of the sky.

The reason for the Air Force to make a low pass over the most airplane phobic area in the country? Well, a photo shoot of course. Duh, makes perfect sense doesn't it. I mean what better way to restore confidence in the population of New York than by allowing a large plane to reenact the most terrifying day of their lives. I wonder how many New Yorkers contacted their psychologist after this to let them know. "Hey, I think I'm over that whole fear of planes now." I wouldn't think too many.

So of course now everyone is up in arms at the insensitive nature of this act of stupidity. People are calling for the swift removal of whomever's head was responsible for giving the O.K. And yet again we fall into a predictable pattern of behavior. Someone makes a mistake and then the public looks for them to loose their job. Five words people "It was a screw up!". That's right someone made a stupid mistake. It's happens all the time. Most people make at least a few mistakes during their day. Now, to be fair these mistakes do not usually set off a panic in a major population center. However, they are still mistakes. So, is it fair for someone to lose their jobs, livelihoods or even end their careers over a mistake? I mean realistically no one was injured. I'm sure they are not going to do it again. Along with the most important part, it way not done out of malice. That's right no evil intent. To me that's an important factor.

So what is the right way to handle this?

A beating?
No! Too 70's.

Lock them in a public stockade?
No! Too middle ages.

Burn them?
No! Too Salem witch hunt.

What then? What can we do to ensure this will never happen again?

Well gee, how about we make whoever is responsible make a public apology and promise not to do it again.... Holy cow! that might just work. Why didn't we think of this before.

Everyone in this country needs to stop looking for blood over spilled milk.

Yes, people have been traumatized.
No, they do not deserve to be financially compensated.
Yes, people made mistakes in even considering this a wise choice.
No, they should not lose their jobs over it.
Yes, you do see a pattern forming.
No, I will not apologize for it.

So, if you don't like what I am saying I guess you can call for my public beating followed by locking me in a stockade and burning me alive.

Today's Rant:Complete

Photo provide by: http://www.freefoto.com/preview/20-34-2?ffid=20-34-2

No comments:

Post a Comment